Each owner of the suburban area knows that work does not stop here even in winter. But in a large flow of affairs, you can forget about something important.
And if you are a novice gardener, then you still may not know some things. Therefore, we have compiled a selection of the most important works, without which it is impossible to create an ideal garden.
1. Plan a garden in advance
A well-conceived plan for a vegetable garden allows you to arrange vegetable crops in it correctly. A visual map of placement of beds will allow you to calculate how much planting material, how much and what plants you will need in the new season.
- How to make a garden mapWinter is the most fertile time to make plans. For example, plan a vegetable garden, which you will break in the spring. How to do it right?
2. Choose a quality seed.
To select seeds that will not disappoint you, it is important to be able to “read” the packaging in which they are sold. Firstly, it should contain the name of the crop and its variety, secondly, the batch number and the shelf life of the seeds, their number, as well as information about the manufacturer. Very well, if the manufacturer gives a brief description of the culture and gives tips on growing it.
- How to choose high-quality seeds of vegetables and herbs?We will tell you how to choose good seeds in the summer to get a rich harvest of tasty vegetables and greens.
3. Prepare the seed for sowing according to all the rules.
Choosing a high-quality seed and storing it properly is still half the battle. To obtain good seedlings, it is equally important to properly prepare the seeds for sowing. Be sure to remember this at the beginning of each new season. Some seeds need calibration, others need hardening, and third need disinfection. And some, and the whole complex of "procedures". But at the end of the season you are guaranteed to get a rich harvest.
- Seed preparation for sowing - useful tipsTo speed up the emergence of seedlings, increase yields and reduce the incidence of plants, seeds need to be prepared for sowing.
4. Properly care for the seedlings before planting in open ground.
From well-prepared seeds grow quality seedlings. And it is very important that it does not wither before landing in the ground. Gardeners often make mistakes, sowing plants in improper soil composition, improperly watering the seedlings, forgetting to light up young shoots and feed them. And, meanwhile, all this is the components of competent care, which allows you to get a strong and healthy seedlings of garden crops.
- 15 mistakes when growing seedlings that we most often makeWe learn from the mistakes of others and try to avoid them when growing seedlings.
5. Protect seedlings from disease.
To ensure that the seedlings are not sick, it is necessary even at the stage of sowing seeds. Everything is important: what containers do you use, in what soil do you sow seeds, how do you take care of seedlings, at what age do you dive seedlings, etc. So remember, the basis for the prevention of seedling diseases is in competent care for it.
- Prevention of seedling diseases - useful tips from an agronomistDetails on how to grow high-quality vegetable seedlings.
6. Arrange the beds according to all the rules.
When the time comes to plant seedlings in open ground, the ground should already be prepared for this. Very much depends on the composition of the soil in which garden crops will grow. On sandy, clay and peat soils, plants will feel differently. In addition, the beds should be equipped so that it was convenient to process them.
- The first bed novice gardener - tips for beginnersHow to start the arrangement of the cottage beds and what plants to choose? Learn from our material.
7. Wake the soil before planting.
In the process of preparing the beds do not forget to "wake up" the soil after hibernation. This means that by the time you start planting seedlings or sowing seeds in the ground, it should be warm enough.
- Prepare a bed for planting, or 3 ways to "wake up" the soilIncrease seed germination and seedling survival rate several times!
8. Choose a place to plant vegetables depending on the acidity of the soil.
Every gardener who wants to grow a good crop should control the acidity of the soil. Even if you have a neutral soil at the site, it may acidify over time. And then it will be necessary to take measures to change its acidity.
- Soil acidity: we define and regulateIf your site has increased acidity of the soil, it can seriously harm the plants. How to understand that it is time to take action?
9. Choose the right vegetables for your neighbors
It is believed that plants in mixed plants grow better and are less sick. This is actually the case. For example, spicy and fragrant herbs scare insects and rodents with their smell. Therefore, if such crops are planted near garden plants, they will also be protected from these pests.
- How to get a good harvest at no extra costMixed plantings can increase crop yields without chemicals and complex agricultural practices. The main thing is to choose the right "neighbors" for the plants.
10. Feed the plants properly.
The plant tissues contain about 70 chemical elements. But the most important of them are nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. In order not to have a shortage of them, it is important not to forget to feed the "green pets" in time with the preparations containing these elements.
- Nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium - signs of deficiency and excess in plantsWhat is the result of an excess or deficiency of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium? Learn from our infographics!
11. Protect the landing from the scorching sun
In the summer, vegetables in the garden can suffer from the hot sun, high soil temperature and drought. Therefore, do not forget to prune the beds, more often water them and mulch the soil between the rows.
- Save the garden from the heatWe will tell you what techniques will help protect garden crops from the summer heat.
12. Protect vegetables from diseases and pests.
For the plants in the garden "hunt" whole hordes of various insects. And so that they do not "eat" the entire crop of tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and other vegetables, it is worth taking care of protecting plants. Most often for this purpose complex preparations of a wide spectrum of action are used.
- We understand plant protection productsDo you know how to choose the pesticides that will protect plants in the area from diseases and pests?
13. Equip a suitable greenhouse for heat-loving crops.
Choosing a good greenhouse should be carried out taking into account many factors. It is important to take into account the size of the site, as well as decide which crops you are going to plant there. But, having built such a structure, it is possible to get early harvests, grow plants of a warm climate and even carry out selection experiments.
- Which greenhouse to choose - buyer's guideHow to start the selection and installation of the greenhouse? We answer the most popular questions.
14. Remove weeds in time.
Diseases and pests are not the only unwanted "visitors" of the garden plot. Do not forget about the weeds, which still strive to flood the free territory and press other cultures. Do not allow this in any case, if you want to get a decent crop of vegetables.
- How to get rid of weeds - the secrets of "clean" bedsDo you know how to effectively protect the garden from unwanted plants? And we know.
15. Do not forget to mulch planting.
Why is it important? We have already found that in the heat of the mulch helps to retain moisture in the soil. But remember that different vegetables fit different mulch. For example, fine sawdust and compost are good for covering crops; straw, grass, rotted manure is usually placed under the seedlings; black film is used for tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers.
- Everything you need to know about mulchCaution: not all types of mulch are equally useful!
16. Follow crop rotation
A very important procedure, which should not be forgotten by any gardener, is crop rotation. Its essence lies in the alternation of garden crops on the site. The fact is that the same crops (or plants from the same family) should not be planted every year in the same place. This depletes the soil and reduces the resistance of vegetables to diseases and pests.
- Crop rotation, or what after what to plant in the gardenUseful information for those who want to collect a good harvest of vegetables and greens every year.
17. Plant out siderites.
Siderats will help improve soil fertility and restore its structure in between plantings. These plants are good in that with their proper application, the amount of mineral fertilizers applied to the soil can be minimized.
- Choosing the best green manure for the gardenThese green manure plants are excellent green fertilizers!
18. Resort to garden tricks.
To make it easier to work on the summer cottage, sometimes it is worth using some tricks that save time and sometimes money. For example, excellent mini-greenhouses come out of plastic bottles, and a high bed can be made from ordinary cinder blocks. Chat with your neighbors, they will always give you some fresh ideas. And invent something new yourself.
- 10 garden tricks for advanced gardenersUseful tips to facilitate the work on the plot.
19. Plant vegetables before winter.
With the onset of autumn and the harvest work in the garden does not end. In September and even in early October, there is still enough heat to plant winter crops, which will have time to take root and grow strong. Such cold-resistant vegetables will provide you with an early harvest next year, so be sure to plant garlic, onions, dill, parsley, beets, carrots, sorrel and parsnips in the garden.
- What can be sown and planted in the garden in autumnSub-winter planting of garden crops has become a good tradition among advanced gardeners. Want to know why?
20. Take care of garden tools.
What kind of gardening tools you use when caring for garden crops is also very important. First, the dirt and dried plant sap on the instruments is a source of infection. And, secondly, the household gardener's inventory must always be kept clean and tidy.
- 12 rational tool storage ideasLayfkhaki for storage of the "man's" tool in a country workshop.
Be sure to take note of all the listed items, because the main result of the whole enterprise depends on their observance - a rich and high-quality harvest.