Inoculation vpriklad is a fairly effective way of propagating plants by cuttings. We will tell you what is special about this “operation” and how to carry it out correctly.
It is not that difficult to plant trees with the help of application techniques. You just need to follow our advice.
In what cases is the vaccination of plants in the application?
This type of grafting of fruit trees is carried out when other methods of grafting a cutting (for example, copulation) are impossible. For example, if the stock is much thicker than a scion.
When is the best time to vaccinate?
The main condition for the success of our "operation" is the presence of intact and active cambial layers. In fruit trees (pears, apples, plums, cherry plums), cambium activity usually occurs in March-April and July-August. It is at this time that it is best to vaccinate. In addition, please note that the most suitable air temperature is from 15 to 28 ° C.
Types of inoculation
Vaccination can be simple and improved. In the second type there are several varieties.
- Simple inoculation It resembles simple copulation: a 25-30 ° cut is made on a cutting and is applied to a side cut on a stump, making sure that the cambium rootstock and the scion are the same. If the stump is rather old, in the place of vaccination, the bark is preliminarily cleaned from it and the layer of coarse wood is cut off. The junction of the rootstock and the scion is tightly wrapped with twine or special tape and covered with garden pitch or clay.
- Vaccination with a saddle differs from the previous method only in that they make a saddle-shaped protrusion with a depth of 2 mm, and then an oblique cut is made from it.
- Vaccination with a tongue it is similar in its technique to improved copulation: in the middle of the sections on the graft and the rootstock they do splits - the so-called tongues, which provide a more reliable connection with the stock.
- Vaccination with saddle and tongue - a combination of the two previous varieties. When it is performed, the graft and the rootstock are in close contact with each other, so that the plants grafted in this way are more likely to take root.
Diagram of the most common types of vaccinations
How to plant a cutting plant in the attachment - step by step instructions
Inoculation of any plants should be carried out in cool and calm weather without precipitation. Best in the morning or in the evening when the sun is less active.
1. For stock, choose a plant in which the bark is well separated from the wood. This is a sure sign of the active life of cells in the cambium rootstock.
Using the pruning shears, cut off the selected shoot into a stump and, from the side where you are going to inoculate, remove the bark and top layer of wood. Then make an oblique cut so that its length and width are equal to the length and width of the oblique cut on the graft.
2. Prepare the cutting for grafting in the same way as for copying: use a special sharp copying knife to make an oblique cut.
All manipulations during the vaccination should be carried out fairly quickly: the cuts should not have time to dry, otherwise the cambial layers will not grow together.
3. Novice gardeners are better to do on the graft and stock "tongues" to make it easier to fasten the graft.
4. Attach the cutting to the cut on the stock, wrap tightly around the grafting site with a string or special tape and carefully cover all the gaps with garden pitch or clay.
If the cut on the stock turned out more oblique cut on the graft, the stalk should be pressed tightly to one side of the hemp. Often, for the accretion of the vaccination, a coincidence of the cambial layers with one of the sides of the stock is sufficient.
5. Make a greenhouse for the graft to be grafted: wrap with thin polyethylene and tie it just below the grafting site. It will pass oxygen, which is necessary for the successful accretion of the shoots, and maintain a suitable level of humidity.
How to evaluate the result of vaccination?
To understand whether the vaccination has taken root, after 7-10 days, untie the polyethylene and check whether the kidneys are swollen. If during this time they did not "come to life" and the cutting began to dry, then something was done wrong, and the cambial layers did not grow together. Try to plant the plant again, just use another shoot and a new stalk as a stock.