Dry leaves, potato tops, trimmed branches of bushes - all this has to be burned at the dacha to stop the spread of diseases and pests. But fines for fires are substantial, and you don’t want to run the risk of a fire. Problem will solve the incinerator plant waste!
Summer residents have long used old metal barrels for burning plant residues, but the trouble is that barrels quickly burn through and in a couple of seasons they become unsuitable for use. An excellent technological solution was found by Leonid Kotlyar, who developed and manufactured his own incinerator for the suburban area.
Vegetable and food waste at dachas are disposed of in different ways, gardeners compost some of the waste, receiving high-quality organic fertilizer, but this technique is not suitable for haulm of tomatoes, potatoes and prickly gooseberry branches.
Most of these wastes accumulate when harvesting, they simply have no place to store until drying, and in raw form they do not burn. It happens and so - the raw tops are thrown into the fire, it goes out, smoldering begins, observation of the fire stops, the hosts leave in the evening, and the fire blows with the night wind and switches to wooden buildings.
Another way to get rid of plant waste is also gaining momentum when they are thrown into the garbage collection container of all SNT. In our gardening partnership last year 2.3 million rubles were paid for garbage collection, or 12% of the collected contributions, and there is an increase of 100 thousand rubles annually.
Well, now we will pass from the introduction to the essence. The problem of burning country waste has been in front of me for a long time. And when the bricks, the firebox door knot and the old steel pipes for water heating remained unclaimed after the repair, I decided to experiment a bit. In addition to the above, did not know what to do with the steel barrel. For many years a fire was kindled in it, where plant waste was burned, and so intensely that the bottom fell off, and a third of the height of the barrel burned down in places.
Such were the initial prerequisites for the development of a green plant waste incinerator.
Such a development does not require a great mind - the stove, like any, has a foundation, an ashpit (blower), a firebox, but instead of a stove with cast-iron rings (rings) a second grate (a copy of the first) is installed, and the pipe stands directly on the grate - the remainder the former barrel, where plant waste is placed. The main requirement for the development of the furnace is the coincidence of the diameter of the barrel with the square of the brickwork side.
Stages of the furnace construction
From the materials I needed:
- solid red brick size 250 × 120 × 65 - 60 pcs .;
- Grate of the SB (370 × 350 × 32) - 2 pcs .;
- 3 × 85 × 300 steel plate - 2 pcs .;
- fire door - 1 pc .;
- 200 l barrel - 1 pc .;
- high steel amplifier (0.5 × 550 × 1750) - 1 pc .;
- low steel amplifier (0.5 × 50 × 1746) - 1 pc .;
- sand cement mix (PCB);
General view of the furnace
01 - brick red full
02 - grate
03 - steel plate
04 - the firebox door
05 - 200-liter barrel
06 - high amplifier
07 - low amplifier
08 - chamfer
- furnace dimensions - 65 × 65 × 130 cm;
- firewood consumption per 1 kindling - a bucket (5-7) l;
- the choice of location is where the fire has been burning for many years.
- Seams make a height of 10 mm.
- Prepare the solution from 2 parts of DSP and 1 part of cement.
- Place the grate and steel plate on the wall without mortar.
- Attach the frame of the firebox door to the structure using wire, which is then embedded in the joints of the masonry.
- Use a brick with through holes as the door of the ash pan, having previously attached a wire handle to it.
- To make a chamfer, pour the gravel fraction 10 × 20 mm with a liquid cement solution (consistency of sour cream).
- The same liquid cement mortar cover the inner surface of the barrel and a high steel amplifier.
- Fire-resistant amplifiers (high and low) are made of steel strips according to the sizes indicated above. Do not bend them beforehand, but roll them into a cylinder smaller than the inner diameter of the barrel, set to the bottom, release and level to achieve a full fit to the mating surface. Do not use percussion instruments!
- Dry the clutch under a waterproof film for 28 days.
- Do not cover the outside of the barrel with cement mortar entirely - this will reduce the heat transfer from the heated barrel and will contribute to its rapid burning.
- Do not make the outer chamfer between the barrel and the brickwork from the solution - this will worsen the heat transfer from the heated surface of the barrel.
How does a waste incinerator work?
The furnace contains 7 brick masonry orders, has been operating for 5 years. Before kindling, the ashpit must be cleaned, ignition takes no more than 5 minutes. A new portion of the tops is loaded with forks at intervals of 5-10 minutes. Any bunch of green tops, raspberry, gooseberry, currant branches are burned in 20-40 minutes.
There are three characteristic periods in the operation of the furnace:
- ignition of the firebox and its one-time loading with firewood;
- the burning of firewood and the contents of the barrel, which is accompanied by abundant smoke removal;
- burning without smoke, only flames are visible, even when loading portions of green tops or branches.
After each furnace, I recommend covering the oven with a steel sheet to protect it from precipitation.
When burning dry leaves, it seems that a rocket was launched at the site. The neighbors like the oven, but refrain from repetition. One of the passers-by, standing at the fence for a long time, looked at the working furnace, I invited him to come and look closer, refused: "No, if I come in, I will want to."
How to burn garbage in the furnace
On average, the furnace must be ignited 2-4 times a month. After burning, the barrel above the grate turns out to be empty and serves as a waste bin: papers, cardboard containers, worn gloves and socks, food waste, etc. However, do not throw in it: glass, plastic containers, polyethylene bags, because however, the resulting ash from the incineration will be unsuitable as fertilizer. We collect all types of chemical element packs separately and after incineration, we use the resulting ash to fill the pits near the site.
Ash is formed a lot - up to 5 liters per firebox, provided that the barrel was filled with debris and plant waste. Rotten apples, tomatoes, potato tubers, affected by blight, also burn with garbage.
In conclusion, I give an "honest pioneer" that the spectacular effect of a working stove is more attractive than a bonfire. The operation of the furnace is safe and tested even with drizzling rain. In addition, the oven is easy to transform under the grill, when such a task is set at the development stage.
And this is how my oven looks live.
On the left - the kindling stage, on the right - the burning process
The photos were taken in the summer of 2018 by Arkady Groshev.
Ask questions to the author, as well as thank him for his publication, you can on the page of Leonid Kotlyar in social networks.