If you have damaged a tree or shrub and do not know what you can quickly cover up the wound, then it's time to learn about such a mixture as a garden pitch. It will help to cope with minor scratches and deep damage and heal the plant.
Garden pitch is a fairly well-known tool among gardeners. It is used to process cuts and heal wounds in trees. You can cook a garden cook with your own hands, and you can buy ready-made mix. Let's take a closer look at this substance and learn how to properly apply it in the garden.
After hardening, the garden water resembles a thick homogeneous mass.
Garden var is applied to the wounds of trees in order to protect them from the ingress of pathogenic microbes, fungi, parasites and insects, as well as from the loss of tree sap. The compound does not cover up the damaged areas immediately, but after a while, when the wound dries out slightly. Wounds on the trunks and branches of trees appear for the following reasons:
- improper pruning;
- removing broken branches;
- sloppy vaccination;
- rodent damage;
- defeat diseases and pests.
Garden pitch is treated not only the wounds on the tree, but also the place sawn
Benefits garden pitch are as follows:
- it is easy to prepare and apply on trunks and branches;
- frozen pitch does not fall off and does not stain clothes and hands;
- the composition perfectly retains moisture and prevents wounds from drying out.
disadvantages garden warriors basically boil down to the following:
- extensive wounds and cuts after treatment dry for a long time, and this leads to rotting of the wood in the area of damage;
- garden pitch - composition for the warm season; at low temperature, it quickly hardens, thickens and is difficult to apply;
- Cheap var with chemical components in hot weather thaws and burns wood.
In search of a cheap alternative, many gardeners prefer to make a garden water with their own hands. Currently, there are more than a dozen different recipes for the preparation of "healing composition."
Paraffin-based Garden Wara Recipes
- paraffin - 6 parts;
- rosin - 3 parts;
- mineral or vegetable oil - 2 parts.
Melt the paraffin wax and add rosin crushed to fine dust. Then bring the mixture to a boil and gently add the butter. Then boil another 10-30 minutes. Leave the resulting mass to cool, and then knead to a smooth consistency. Put the finished cooker in a container with a lid.
One of the varieties of the above recipe is the following composition:
- paraffin - 1 part;
- Rosin - 1 part;
- gear oil - 1 part (or 1 part of natural drying oil).
Beeswax based garden pot recipes
- rosin - 4 parts;
- beeswax - 2 parts;
- Interior fat - 1 part.
Instead of paraffin, you can use beeswax. Melt it also and bring to a boil. Add the remaining ingredients in accordance with the recommended proportions. Boil the mixture for no more than half an hour and let it cool. Then mash to a uniform consistency.
Propolis and wax are used for wound healing more often than other natural remedies.
Having taken beeswax as a basis, you can make some more useful compositions:
Garden bar Zhukovsky:
- beeswax - 1 part;
- Rosin - 1 part;
- unsalted fat - 1 part.
Melt all the ingredients in different containers, then transfer them into one bowl and mix. Let the mass settle for some time, then take cold water into another container and pour in the garden water. Wait until it is curled, remove it from the water and form a regular shape ball. Keep it in oiled paper and apply only in warm weather. In order not to attract wasps and bees, cover the treated place with a cloth.
Garden pitch with turpentine:
- rosin - 6 parts;
- beeswax - 3 parts;
- propolis - 2 parts;
- turpentine - 1 part.
Garden pork with lard:
- rosin - 4 parts;
- beeswax - 1 part;
- lard (unsalted) - 1 part.
Recipes Cold Resistant Garden Vars
Given the impending frost, in the fall it is advisable to use cold-resistant vars based on alcohol.
- fir resin - 10 parts;
- yellow wax - 1 part;
- Wine alcohol - 1 part.
Place wax and resin in metal dishes and melt them. Do not forget to constantly stir the mass so that it does not clump. After it becomes warm, add some alcohol there. The composition is applied with a brush, in this case it will retain plasticity and will not let moisture through.
Garden War Gauga:
- pine gum - 400 g;
- baking soda - 1 tsp;
- medical alcohol - 60 ml;
- gum - 4 years
Heat the resin in a metal container and add alcohol there. Dissolve the gum and soda in water and add to the pot with the resin. Stir well and cool. Apply the composition to the trees with a brush.
Garden var Rayevsky:
- wood resin - 500 g;
- medical alcohol - 60 ml;
- Linseed oil - 2 tbsp.
Melt the tar on low heat, stirring constantly. Then carefully add alcohol and linseed oil to it. After the mixture has cooled, it can be poured into a metal can and put into storage.
Garden Var: application and features
Since it is impossible to find paper with the inscription: "Garden var. Instructions for use," when preparing medical formulations at home, we decided to talk about the peculiarities of applying the mixture to damaged trees. They suggest the following actions:
- process only healthy wood. All damaged, dead, rotted or infected parts of the tree should be removed before applying the composition;
- clean the edges and base of the wound. They should be absolutely smooth, without bulges and growths;
- rinse wood wounds with running water and when applying the composition use clean tools;
- damaged areas should be treatedin late spring - early summer. Of course, if the damage occurred at another time, it is also treated with a garden pitch. But in the spring the applied composition must be updated;
- if you clean the hollow of a tree, then do not forget to process them with a 5% solution of copper sulphate. Work tools and hands are also treated with an alcohol solution;
- with parallel treatment of damaged wood from cytosporosis or nectria, damaged areas should be treated with 2% copper sulphate solution or 5% iron sulphate solution.
Before applying the garden warp, the edges and base of the wound of the tree must be cleaned and processed
If you need garden var, but there are no suitable ingredients at hand, you can use various substitutes. It is possible to smear the garden bar or its analogues with wounds on any trees, therefore the list of alternatives is quite extensive:
- putty from a clod of earth - This is an “ambulance” in case you have unsuccessfully walked through a tree with a saw or shears. Take a clump of earth from the bed and lay it on the wound. It is better to fasten it with plastic wrap or a piece of cloth, and in the coming days, still find garden varieties for treatment;
- polyethylene "ligation" - it is possible to protect fresh damage from drying out and penetration of pathogens using a regular plastic bag. It is enough to break the old bag and tie the trunk tightly with it. Sometimes this is enough to fully restore the bark and cambium;
- curative mullein - take 1 part of mullein and add 2 parts of clay or ground hay to it. Stir the mixture until the consistency of thick cream and grease damage;
- clay mash Used to save seedlings and treat damage. For its preparation, take 200 g of clay, 100 g of cow dung, a little straw and a few tablespoons of copper sulfate. Mix all ingredients to a consistency of thick cream and evenly apply on the damaged bark.
Mullein-based mixtures are also used to seal gaps and hollows.
If the damage or the place of the cut is small, then you can use a regular paint brush to apply the mixture. Large "injuries" are sealed with a spatula or roller, evenly covering the injury site.
But to use a spray or spray for applying the composition is not recommended - it is wasteful, and the texture of the garden warrior is often far from liquid.
If an antiseptic is already included in the composition of your chosen recipe, then you should not apply it additionally. And remember - the main thing is not the layer thickness, but the uniformity of the application of the composition.
Try to apply the composition to the bark of the tree as accurately and accurately as possible.
So, garden pitch is considered one of the safest and most effective means for healing the wounds of fruit trees and shrubs. Currently, there are a huge number of recipes that are used in country farms. If you have your own, proven and reliable tool, recommend it by adding a comment.