Spring for summer residents is a time of trouble. The soil is prepared, the seeds are planted, all in anticipation of germination. But the weather in the offseason is unpredictable, at any time you can expect surprises.
Wind, hail, frost, heavy rains, obsessive weeds, voracious rodents and birds are a threat to crops. The main task during this period is to reliably protect and create the most comfortable conditions for young plants.
Experienced gardeners and gardeners know: the earlier they take care of the safety of crops and seedlings, the more likely they are to wait for good harvests. Covering materials help to cover, protect and create an optimal microclimate. The range of coatings today is huge, there are different types, each with its own characteristics and advantages. It is important to know about them, this will make the right choice and not worry about the safety of crops.
Its properties have been well studied for a long time; this material has been tested in practice and has earned unprecedented popularity among summer residents, primarily due to its low cost. The plastic film is transparent, well transmits light, prevents the penetration of moisture, is able to retain heat and fertilizer in the soil. In addition, polyethylene is available and easy to use.
For all its advantages, the plastic film does not protect against temperature drops, it quickly ages and collapses. Such material is suitable only for temporary shelter of plants. However, thanks to the introduction of modern technology, new types of plastic film have appeared, improved and more durable. The following types are known and in demand:
- Reinforced. It is resistant to damage, thanks to UV stabilizers, the sunlight under the material spreads evenly. Strength enhances the inserted fiberglass mesh.
- Air bubble. Reliable and wear-resistant film with high thermal protection.
- Light Transforming. In the manufacture of material used special additives that accelerate the growth of plants and protect against frost.
The polyethylene film copes with its main tasks perfectly, it does not lose popularity, however there are a lot of other materials that deserve attention.
Covering materials of artificial origin
Any covering material greatly simplifies the work. If you cover the crops in the beds and planted seedlings regularly, you can save time on loosening and watering. Plants under such protection are comfortable and safe.
Agrospan, lutrasil, spandex, spunbond, agril - to experienced gardeners these fancy names are well known. All these are popular trademarks specializing in the manufacture of the most important in the gardening covering nonwoven material made from polypropylene fiber. In fact, all brands are similar, the protective function remains the main one, but there is a difference, it is in technology, quality, price and the main characteristic - density. It is from this indicator that the functionality and strength of covering nonwoven material. Knowing the properties, you can easily select the appropriate material.
- The highest density is 60 g / sq.m. It is a durable, reliable material in black. Perfectly absorbs sunlight, thanks to this dignity plants are provided with heat. Weeds have almost no chance to survive under such a shelter, they are deprived of sunlight and die. There will be no problems with irrigation and liquid fertilizer application, the material is perfectly permeable to moisture.
- Non-woven material of average density of 42-60 g / sq.m helps out when installing greenhouses with arcs. Not deformed, resistant to temperature extremes, freely passes air and moisture.
- Material with a density of 17-30 g / sq.m is used to protect crops on open ground. Rescues from spring frosts and the scorching sun, well passes water, light, air and heat.
For plant protection, many use shading films. They save from direct sunlight, are used outdoors, greenhouses and greenhouses. Well proven and agrofabric. Most often they are addressed for protection against weeds, but the utility is not limited to this. Agrofilms retain moisture in the soil and create the optimum temperature.
The choice of material depends on its purpose. Decide for what purpose it is purchased, consider all the pros and cons and buy what is required. With the current range of problems with the choice will not.