Autumn garden leaves no one indifferent. Before the onset of cold weather, trees and shrubs play with bright colors, not only because of the multi-colored leaves. Some crops are no less attractive fruits, which are densely covered with branches.
Most trees and shrubs bear fruit in early autumn, but in some crops, bright berries persist until winter. We have prepared for you a selection of the most attractive plants that are ideal as a decor for the autumn garden.
Among the barberries there are deciduous, evergreen and semi-evergreen plants. In the autumn garden barberry ordinary, Ottawa, Siberian, Amur and Thunberg are especially popular. They have decorative leaves, flowers and fruits. In autumn, the bright red berries of the barberry look great against the yellow, orange, red, green leaves of this ornamental plant. Often the fruits are kept on the branches, even in winter.
- 10 varieties of barberry that will decorate your gardenBright, prickly, with tasty berries - all this is barberry! Which of the varieties will decorate your garden and will delight the whole season?
Dropping barberry bushes, you can create beautiful hedges. Also, the plant looks great in the autumn garden as a bright tapeworm on the lawn.
Euonymus does not need formative pruning, so it is ideal for novice gardeners. This undemanding plant in the summer does not stand out in particular, but in the fall it changes into a bright outfit in pink, red and purple shades. In addition, beautiful autumn leaves complement the fruits of unusual shape.
- Forchun's euonymusThe most elegant and very cold-resistant spruce, which adorns the garden all year round thanks to the motley leaves.
- Euonymus European Red CascadeOne of the best autumn-winter decorations for your garden.
These small trees or tall shrubs in the fall delight gardeners with edible fruits. Depending on the variety, they are yellow, whitish, orange, brown, purple, black, but bright red are most common. In shape, they resemble small apples. Fruits are stored on the plant until they are pecked by birds.
Hawthorn is most often used in landscape design as a hedge, as well as in the garden look good single trees.
- Making a hawthorn hedgeThe basic rules for creating a hawthorn hedge.
In May-June, the elderberry adorns the garden with numerous inflorescences, and at the end of August fruits are formed in the place of flowers. Red elderberry, as you might guess, is red, black is blackish-purple, and Canadian is dark purple. Red fruits more organically fit into the palette of the autumn garden, but they are inedible, unlike dark berries.
- Elder black black towerColumn-like tall shrub with fragrant buds and bright berries, from which the whole season just does not take your eyes off.
An elder of any kind and variety is good both as a “soloist” and as a participant in an attractive composition in the neighborhood of other ornamental shrubs.
Derain bears fruits with small white berries in August-September, but this plant also has bright decorative leaves and shoots in the fall. Thanks to the fiery stems (especially in young individuals), both white and red turf remain attractive throughout the winter.
- Derain redBright deciduous shrub with a spreading crown and shoots of various colors - from light green (spring) to blood-red (autumn).
- Derain whiteA common ornamental shrub with attractive leaves and bright shoots.
Best of all, turf looks in hedges or in plantings in small groups. The shrub tolerates a haircut well, practically does not get sick and is not susceptible to attack by pests, therefore it is suitable for inexperienced and lazy gardeners.
In the spring viburnum pleases the eye thanks to large snow-white inflorescences, and in the fall the bush bewitches with its bright leaves and red berries. By the way, there are species with pink, orange, black, gray-blue fruits, but in our latitudes they are not popular. In the middle lane, Kalina ordinary is most often grown. Tasty and healthy bright red berries of this plant ripen in August and September. However, the fruits are harvested only after the first frost, then their taste becomes less tart and not so bitter.
- Decorative viburnum - the best varieties, tips on planting, care and pruningEverything you wanted to know about the decorative Kalina and about one of its types - the Kalina folded.
- Kalina Buldenezh - photos, description, landing, care and reproductionEverything you wanted to know about the cultivation of decorative viburnum Buldenezh.
Kalina is planted as a tapeworm and in groups with other flowering and decorative leafy shrubs. It is also good for creating hedges.
In the spring and summer, the cotoneaster is decorative due to the glossy leaves and small flowers, which bloom in May and June. And in the autumn the shrub is covered with bright red or burgundy berries.
- CotoneasterThis evergreen or deciduous shrub will delight you with unusual leaves, delicate flowers and bright fruits.
In landscape design for the formation of hedges and soliternyh landings most kizilniki use horizontal, spread and shiny. And Dammera's ground cover is suitable for alpine slides.
In regions with a rather mild climate to decorate the autumn garden, it is worth planting a three-partitioned clerodendrum - a spectacular shrub with unusual fruits. He looks best as a “soloist” on the lawn or as a rabat in a company with low perennials.
In the autumn, the klerodendrum is covered with blue, with an inky shade, fruits that look like artificial beads. Each berry is surrounded by massive crimson pericarp, forming a kind of flower star. This gives the shrub original appearance.
But consider: the klerodendrum grows only on the solar sites protected from a wind and is afraid of a strong frost. In the middle lane, the plant is carefully covered for the winter with dry leaves, non-woven material, spruce branches and from above again non-woven material.
9. Beautiful Carp
From the name of this shrub it becomes clear that it has the most decorative fruit. In September and October, purple-violet berries appear on the background of red and golden leaves. They remain on the plant even after leaf fall.
- A beautiful fruit pot will paint the most boring gardenSo that the garden did not lose its colors even in the autumn months, it is worthwhile to plant a beautiful fruit in it.
- Beautiful Bodiniera ProfroujnOrnamental shrub with unusual rich purple fruits that remain on the plant all winter.
The branches covered with bright berries are suitable for creating winter bouquets. They keep their shape for a long time and combine well with many plants.
10. Holly Norway, or Holly
Holly is common on Christmas Eve, especially in the West. Branches with dark green glossy leaves and bright fruits are used as Christmas decorations. At the site, this shrub is used primarily as a hedge. The small berries of holly are most often red, but sometimes they are yellow and orange. They are all inedible.
- Norway holly - useful information about planting, care and cultivationHolly, or holly, is not only a symbol of Christmas, but also a magnificent garden plant.
This evergreen shrub is often called the fiery thorn. In spring, creamy fragrant flowers glorify against a background of dark green leaves, and in autumn and winter the plant is covered with glossy berries of scarlet, orange or yellow color.
Pyracantha is undemanding in care, but it is afraid of frost, therefore in regions with an unstable climate it is more often grown in containers. The fruits of pyracanthus are edible, but they are very bitter, therefore not attractive to humans. But birds like to eat them in the cold season.
In the autumn, many species of mountain ash are beautiful, in particular, ordinary black chokeberry (aronia), garnet. In August and September on these trees ripen numerous fruits collected in clusters. Today, there are many decorative varieties of mountain ash with berries of different colors, but in the gardens are still the most common red and orange fruits.
- Decorative ashberryAttractive tree with feathery leaves, delicate flowers and bright berries.
- Aronia black chokeberryAn attractive plant with beneficial fruits that is ideal for creating hedges.
The white or pink fruits of the snowberry remain for a long time on the bush, thanks to which they decorate the garden not only in autumn, but also at the beginning of winter. By the way, some varieties have berries of red or black and purple shades, but so far they are not very popular.
- Snowberry - spectacular shrub for autumn and winterShrub with unusual snow-white berries that adorn the plant even after leaf fall.
Snowberry is suitable for creating hedges and borders, as well tolerated haircut. Also, the shrub looks great in group plantings, can be used to strengthen the slopes.
Rose wrinkled - widespread and unpretentious shrub. From May to August, it is covered with fragrant flowers, and in August-September, healthy fruits ripen on it. Usually they are red or orange.
- Choose varieties of wild rose with large edible fruitsWhat kind of dog rose to choose for the garden?
- RosehipA popular plant with fragrant flowers and healing fruits.
Rosehip looks best in hedges, but a separate bush will be a good decoration of the autumn garden.
And what trees and shrubs growing in your garden, lift your spirits in the autumn due to its bright appearance?