Tired every year to remove indoor flowers from window sills and to “decorate” windows with seedlings? Grieve when once again someone touches seedlings with a curtain and breaks a young plant? Then the rack for growing seedlings - what you need.
Quality substrate, good seeds, timely feeding, regular watering - this is not all that is needed in order to get the perfect seedlings. Often we forget about the importance of light and comfortable temperature in the initial stages of plant life and do not pay enough attention to this issue. But this problem has an excellent solution - growing seedlings on a rack.
Why do you need a seedling stand in the house?
Some are so accustomed to placing home-grown seedlings on window-sills, kitchens, balconies and other "utility rooms", that they may now ask themselves the question: "Why do I really need such a design, if everything is growing well?" Good is good, but what if you can do even better?
Using the rack gives a lot of advantages:
- The rack - a thing mobile. You do not have to make sure that the cat does not drop the boxes from the window sill or the children during the game do not trample your shoots - just move the stand to the “safe” place.
- You can decorate the rack at will, so that it blends seamlessly into the interior of your home.
- Racking is compact. You no longer need to make intricate pas, trying not to hurt or step on the boxes with seedlings. Simply place the rack where it will not interfere with anyone.
- On the windowsills will not remain dirty divorces (an essential attribute of the traditional placement of seedlings).
- Seedlings will grow better, because with the help of a rack you can create the most favorable conditions for growing seedlings.
On the window sill, seedlings may be at risk of frostbite due to the cold coming from the window, or dry out due to the heat radiated by the battery. By installing a shelving in the house, you can adjust the level of illumination of plants by placing fitolampy for illumination. In addition, when the temperature drops the rack can be moved to another room or simply move away from the source of cold.
What are racks for seedlings?
Depending on the principle of placement, there are 2 types of shelving:
rack for seedlings on the window;
The first option is suitable for happy owners of windows facing south, the second option is universal. The window rack is convenient if there are few seedlings, but it has height restrictions: for low seedlings on a standard window you can only make 3-4 shelves. Unfortunately, buying inexpensive shelving, you risk losing seedlings, because often such shelves are not good quality. When buying, pay attention to the mounting quality of the material. If something causes you to doubt, it is better to spend more money on the rack. Alternatively - go to the building materials store and buy everything you need to make a rack for seedlings with your own hands.
How to make a shelving yourself?
First decide on rack dimensions. Here everything is individual and depends on your wishes and possibilities.
Do not forget that the seedlings will grow, keep this in mind when calculating the height of the shelves of the rack. If you plan to install a backlight, make a margin in length and height for the lamps: the lamp should protrude beyond the edges of the shelf so that the lighting is even, since usually fluorescent lamps warm up more at the edges than in the middle.
Standard parameters of a rack for seedlings on 3-6 shelves:
- construction height - 1.2-1.8 m;
- shelf length - 1-1.2 m (adjusted for the length of the lamps to be installed or the width of the window, if it is a window rack);
- shelf height - 40-60 cm (calculation formula: container height + maximum seedling height + lamp height + 10 cm of stock);
- shelf width - 20-70 cm (boxes with seedlings can be set perpendicular to the wide shelf).
Rack material. The shelf for seedlings can be made of almost any material. Suitable metal (stainless steel, perforated tubes, metal sheet), wood (cant), plastic (plastic pipes, plexiglass). Structural strength depends not only on the material, but also on the quality of workmanship.
Backlight. Usually fluorescent lamps are attached along the center of the shelf. Experienced gardeners claim that for a single shelf 40-50 cm wide enough double lamp 2 × 18 watts. On a wider shelf (60-70 cm) will need 3 lamps. At night, seedlings do not need to highlight. The best option is to turn on the lamps in the morning and turn them off before you go to bed.
- Backlight for seedlings at homeDo I need additional coverage of seedlings grown on the windowsill? What are phytolamps, how to choose and use them correctly?
In some cases, seedlings can make a "dark night" even in the daytime, curtain shelving light-tight curtain. This is done in order to slow the growth if the seedlings begin to stretch.
- What if the seedlings outgrown?We will tell you how to avoid stretching the plants and what to do if the seedlings have already outgrown.
To regulate the power of illumination, the lamp can be fastened on chains and hung on hooks mounted in a shelf. Depending on the growth stage of the seedlings, the lamp is raised to the desired height.
There are no strict rules regarding the construction. The algorithm of action is as follows:
- Installation of the basis of a rack.
- Making the ends, shelves.
- Installation of shelves and lamps.
A visual workshop with recommendations on how to make a metal rack for seedlings with light with their own hands, see in the video:
Durable shelving with proportions and "correctly" installed lighting - the key to successful cultivation of seedlings at home. Nevertheless, be careful and careful not to make mistakes in this difficult task:
- 15 mistakes when growing seedlings that we most often makeWe learn from the mistakes of others and try to avoid them when growing seedlings.