We tell how to achieve maximum yield of cabbage in the open field with a minimum of costs. Learn all about growing and caring cabbage in adverse weather conditions.
We share with you simple secrets that tell you how to grow cabbage properly, care for it during heavy rains and how to water the cabbage for a good harvest.
Secret 1: Choosing a Sustainable Variety
Fortunately, cabbage is by default a moisture-loving and frost-resistant vegetable, therefore, unlike more “delicate” crops, a cold and rainy summer is not a sentence for it.
Nevertheless, if the weather regularly gives out surprises in your region in the form of prolonged rains, it makes sense to take care of the cabbage harvest in advance and plant unpretentious cabbage hybrids that are resistant to all kinds of weather vagaries.
For example, broccoli F1 Fiestacolored Malimba F1, white F1 garden headSavoy Ovasa F1.
- What kind of cabbage makes the most delicious salads?This salad cabbage does not look like its white "sister" in appearance, but it makes delicious salads!
- The most productive varieties of early cabbageEarly cabbage is good because it grows in almost 3 months. And if you choose the right varieties, then a huge harvest is guaranteed.
Secret 2: Terms of sowing and planting seedlings of cabbage in open ground
How to grow excellent harvest of cabbage? First of all, it is worth starting with competent sowing and planting of seedlings!
Cabbage seedlings are sensitive to day length and fluctuations in temperature. Sow this crop too early or keep the containers at a too warm temperature - the seedlings will stretch, they will be weak. As a result, in abnormally cold summer such plants will grow poorly.
That is why the sowing time specified on the seed packaging should be strictly followed.
- Planting calendar: white cabbage, cauliflower, kohlrabi, broccoliA detailed calendar of crops of various types of cabbage.
Usually the first white cabbage is sown on seedlings (the second decade of March), then broccoli and Savoy (late March - early April), and last - colored (early April).
To improve the germination of seeds, before sowing they can be treated with a stimulant (potassium humate, Appin, Zircon, etc.).
Other types of cabbage, including medium and late white cabbage, can be grown in a non-seedling manner and sown in open ground from April to late summer, depending on the type and variety.
The optimal composition of soil for growing cabbage - peat, turf ground and sand, taken in equal parts. If the soil is acidified, it must be "quenched" with lime.
For more information about planting dates, look in our table:
In the ground, seedlings are transplanted on average after 45 days. During these one and a half months, it is important to competently care for seedlings. How to do this, you can learn in our master class Growing cabbage seedlings at home.
- 15 secrets of growing good cabbage seedlingsDo you know all about growing cabbage seedlings? Check yourself and make no mistakes!
- Cauliflower seedlings - how to grow without problemsTo get an early harvest of cauliflower, it should be grown through seedlings.
Secret 3: Feeding cabbage in open field
How to fertilize seedlings and how to feed cabbage after planting is another important aspect of preparing cabbage beds for an unfavorable summer.
As for seedlings, it must be fed twice:
1. First time fertilizers are applied in the phase of the third true leaf. To do this, prepare a mineral "cocktail": 0.5 tsp. Nitrofoski, Kemira-universal or Mortar diluted in 1 liter of water.
2. Second time Cabbage is fed 1-1.5 weeks before transplanting into the ground. In this case, you can use a solution of urea and potassium sulfate (1 tsp of each drug per 5 liters of water).
How to feed the cabbage to form a head after landing in the ground? The answer to this question depends on the type of cabbage. Look for all the information in the table:
Secret 4: Proper watering cabbage
Again, let us pay attention to the fact that cabbage is still a “wetter” in the world of plants. However, how often the cabbage is watered depends on the amount of precipitation.
In the "normal mode" irrigation scheme is as follows:
- the first 2 weeks after planting watering every 2-3 days at the rate of 8 liters of water per 1 square meter;
- then - once a week at the rate of 13-15 liters of water per 1 sq. m.
Special attention should be paid to irrigation in the forks formation phase (in June, in early varieties, in August, in late-ripening varieties).
If in the summer there are prolonged rains, it is necessary to limit the consumption of cabbage water to prevent cracking of heads. For this, the roots are slightly trimmed with a shovel.
In dry weather, at least 10 liters of water is poured under the plant. In particularly hot weather, several buckets may be needed for irrigation. However, if you have not watered cabbage for a long time in a drought, you should not immediately pour a large amount of water under the plants - the cabbages are cracked. Increase watering gradually.
For more information on cabbage irrigation rates, depending on the type, look in the table:
Secret 5: Treatment of cabbage for diseases and pests
In cool rainy weather, cabbage pests are especially noticeable. snails and slugs. The most important tactic of dealing with them - "discard" them from your beds. To do this, you can take the following measures:
- regularly mow grass along the garden;
- do not thicken the landing - snails and slugs are very fond of secluded "houses" from the foliage;
- sow parsley along the beds - its smell frightens off these pests;
- grind the beds with conifer needles;
- distract pests from cabbage with baits in between rows (citrus slices will do).
Among the malicious enemies of cabbage, there are other pests: cabbage shovel, cabbage swallow, aphid, cruciferous flea, cabbage fly:
- Against cabbage scoops Cabbage is treated with insecticides (Decis Profi, Zeta, Inta-Vir, Kinmiks, Fas) or biologics (Bitoxibacillin, Lepidotsid).
- From cruciferous flea get rid of by dusting plants with a mixture of tobacco dust with ash or lime fluff in a 1: 1 ratio.
- From whitefish caterpillars Detsis Profi, Iskra M, Kemifos, Kinmiks are helping.
If you prefer the treatment of cabbage with folk remedies, you can fight with aphids and flea patches with this solution for spraying: 1 bottle of valerian tincture and 1 tbsp. Soap shavings are diluted in 3 liters of water.
It is also worth noting that one of the most dangerous "diseases" of cabbage - kila - has a fungal origin. It is not a secret to anyone that with high humidity the fungus spreads quickly, so rainy summer increases the risk of infection.
It is very difficult to treat keel, so it is easier to prevent the disease. How to do this, read our material:
- Kila cabbage - how to deal with a dangerous diseaseWe tell how to get rid of keels on cabbage once and for all.
Nevertheless, even if you notice characteristic nodules on the roots of cabbage, do not rush to put an end to the harvest - try to chop off all areas of the root system affected by fungus. Perhaps the cabbage has enough strength to build new roots and form a healthy head of cabbage.
We hope our tips will be useful to you! And how do you save the harvest in the cold rainy summer? Share your ideas in the comments.