The unpleasant smell in a country toilet is a topic that excites many, but not everyone knows that getting rid of the stench is not at all difficult. Consider a few popular and affordable ways.
To solve the problem, and not to disguise it, you need to first understand the reasons. In fact, the reason for the unpleasant odor is one - incorrect work of ventilation in the toilet, but how to correct the situation? Let's see.
Ventilation in the toilet at the cottage
The ideal option is when the ventilation system is thought out even when building a toilet, which means that there is an exhaust hood in the toilet house. If not, then a plastic or metal pipe can be inserted into the cesspool box and led out of it through the roof of the toilet so that its upper edge is located 2.5–3 m above the ground.
Seal the place of the insert, paint a part of the pipe above the roof with black paint. From solar heat, the pipe will heat up and operate on the principle of exhaust.
The depth of the cesspool should be at least 2 m, and the material from which it is made, waterproof.
Also in the toilet you can arrange natural ventilation: make a window in the wall or make a hole closer to the floor. Cover the hole or window with a mosquito net to prevent insects from entering the house.
Chemicals for country toilet
The main advantages of using chemical agents are speed and independence from weather conditions (“chemistry” can be used both in winter and in summer). There are several types of these drugs:
- nitrate most environmentally friendly products, but they are quite expensive. Due to the content of surfactants (surfactants) nitrate oxidizers not only help to cope with the smell, but also have detergent properties (Deo Tural, Devon-H);
- ammonium drugs are also among the most safe and effective means, but when using them, they should not be allowed to come into contact with soap solutions, for example, after washing (Bio-san);
- bleaching powder -the substance is extremely toxic and carcinogenic, but at the same time one of the most affordable and cheap.
When working with chemicals, be sure to use protective equipment (respirator, gloves, etc.), follow the safety rules and strictly follow the instructions on the package.
After using chemical preparations, the contents of the cesspool (or septic tank) must be disposed of and in no case be used as fertilizer.
Folk remedies for the smell in the country toilet
There are several natural remedies that will help get rid of the smell in the outdoor toilet:
- sawdust or ash (pour 1 cup after each use of the toilet);
- mowed grass (also added after each visit);
- tomato tops or nettles (scare away insects and absorb ammonia, need to pour weekly).
These methods are environmentally friendly and do not require special financial costs. Folk remedies quickly neutralize the smell and decompose the contents of the septic tank or cesspool, with the resulting compost can be further used in the beds.
Bioactivators for country toilet
Bioactivators are modern preparations that are a concentrate with strains of biobacteria. For these bacteria to live, they need a sufficient amount of organic matter, moisture, and air temperature above 0 ° C. The most popular bioactivators for cesspools:
- Dr. Robic;
Such biological agents help in the disposal of waste, neutralizing sewage in the cesspool, destroying harmful microorganisms and eliminating unpleasant irritating odors. When using bioactivators, the filling of the sump decreases over time.
Bioactivator can be purchased in the form of a liquid, powder or tablets. In an ordinary country toilet, only 1 tablet can be enough to cope with 1 cubic meter of impurities. It is necessary to use means according to the instruction specified on packaging.
- If you decide to use bioactivators, try to exclude chemical agents from entering the cesspool, otherwise living microorganisms may simply die;
- be sure to follow the ventilation of the toilet;
- it is senseless to use bioactivators in early spring or late autumn, since microorganisms die at low temperatures;
- Correctly relate the amount of waste and the required number of microorganisms. If they are too few, they will not cope with the task and simply will not survive.
The result of the work of bioactivators becomes noticeable about a week after their use.
Peat fillers - what it is and how they work
In recent years, many gardeners are installing dry closets at sites, and in order for sewage to be processed into compost, they use a peat mixture. It loosens the mass, eliminates odor, absorbs evaporation and recycles waste.
The advantages of peat fillers:
- quickly compost waste;
- interfere with the extrusion of masses;
- absorb moisture;
- prevent the appearance of insects;
- safe for nature.
When choosing a peat filler, it is necessary to take into account that mixtures containing active, leaded high-moor peat absorb odors more efficiently and start the process of recycling faster.
The most effective method of eliminating "odors" in a street toilet is the combination of one of the proposed methods with the improvement of the ventilation system.